Saturday, September 3, 2011

30 Day Challenge | Husband Encouragement Challenge For Wives | Day 3


30 Day Challenge
Husband Encouragement Challenge For Wives
Day 3


{ Devotional }



"...love suffers long, and is kind..." 1 Cor. 13:4  
"And my God shall supply all your need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus." Phil. 4:19   
Love indeed suffers long and is kind. As you consider your Encouragement Challenge, determine today that you will not say anything negative to or about your husband. Speak kindly to him with words of genuine encouragement.  
If your husband is considerate of your needs, let him know that you have noticed. Thank him for his kindness and consideration. Thank the Lord that your husband knows how to be both tough and tender.  
Sometimes it's difficult for a man to be gentle, kind or tender - especially if he hasn't had role models in these areas. If he's not a considerate person, appeal to him for help without complaining. Let him know that it's hard for you to handle some things alone. Then, when he moves in to help, don't insist that he do it your way. Be glad that he is responding, and express your gratitude.   
Ultimately, you can't expect your husband to make you feel more secure, loved, etc. Remember that only God can meet the deepest needs of your heart. 



Join me after the jump for my response to today's devotional...




{ My Husband }

Even though we have been married for over four years, I still struggle, sometimes, with knowing how to balance gratitude for my husband's kindness, and still being direct enough to let him know when I really need something. I grew up in an environment where obedience without complaint or question was the rule; even though Nick is not an autocrat, I still feel compelled at times to just do whatever I think is expected of me. This can be very detrimental to marriage, and to relationships in general. Thankfully, my husband is nothing if not kind, and whenever he realizes that I am not being completely forthcoming about my wants and needs, or about my opinions on things, he never fails to draw it out of me with love and tenderness (even when my responses are frustrating). For this, I am exceedingly grateful!

As I mentioned yesterday, over the last month or so, Nick has begun doing the laundry voluntarily. I am ashamed to admit that I assumed this would stop once I lost my job, and he found one. Imagine my shock and delight (followed by consternation at my own assumptions) when it didn't happen! I quit my job, and he started his, on the same day, and yet Nick still does the laundry. Wow!! Maybe I'm not giving him (or men in general) enough credit, but I have always seen laundry as "women's work" and most of the guys I've known shared that view, so this is pretty amazing to me, lol! Clearly, my husband is not "just one of the guys" when it comes to serving his family.

But Nick's kindness and consideration toward me go so far beyond silly things like laundry. He is always on the lookout for ways to let me know how much I mean to him, and if anything, this consideration has increased rather than decreased in the years we have been married. He brings me flowers now and then, gives me lovely heartfelt cards with special notes, surprises me with lunch, wakes me up with kisses, and says "I love you" every time I need to hear it, without me ever saying a word. I have been truly blessed!


{ What Has Gone Before }

To see the original post introducing this 30 Day Challenge, click here.

To see my post for Day 1, click here.

To see my post for Day 2, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my blog post! I can't wait to hear your comments. If you have a general question, or want to contact me about something not related to this post, please use the form found on my Contact page. Thanks! *smiles*