Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Simple Life | Priorities and Dreams

I feel inspired. Brin, of My Messy, Thrilling Life, is a brilliant writer, and a woman of deep faith and beautiful vision. I have been reading her work for a few months now, and I am finally taking the time to read her blog from the begining (way back in 2005). Freeman House, an old farmhouse somewhere between Wichita and Texas, pops up frequently in her writings, always in the sad, past tense, and I am finally learning about the magnificent place! How I long for the simple life she so eloquently describes...


Creating a Charmed Life by Victoria Moran is a book I hope to read soon. Charmed, simple - I want these things in my life, and I finally realized that I am the only one who can acheive those goals; I have to determine for myself what is important to me, and then put those beliefs into action. I want a quiet life of home, hearth, family and service. I feel it in my soul; I need to slow down, and focus on what matters.

I have always been one of those people who is good at most things I try, and for years I have believed this tendency must mean that I am meant to do something big, something important. What I never took into account was that doing what I was created to do doesn't mean that I have to do everything! And who, besides God, is to say what is "important", anyway?

I've been doing a great deal of thinking lately, about what really matters to me. Knowing God, and having a personal, intimate relationship with Him is at the top of the list, though I am shamed to admit that this was not the case until recently. These past few years have been difficult ones, and I allowed my circumstances to drive a wedge - a wall of silence and bitterness - between myself and His holiness. I am done with that now. It has been like living without oxygen.

What is really important to me...

Family. My husband is my best of best friends; he is my confidant, my lover, my hero. The one I turn to when I need grounding, and the one that I cling to when in need of comfort. He is my sunshine when all else is dark, and I love him more thoroughly than I can even begin to express! After God, he embodies what is important to me.

Relationships. We have a large family, between us; I love all, and like most, which is (I hope) the same as can be said by them of me! We are so distant, geographically, from family I love, it grieves me at times. I hope to travel, or have them as guests, many times in the years to come. I am excited to soon live near my beautiful niece, and I can't wait to meet my nephew when he makes his debut this spring! When I think of simplicity and joy, I imagine a life where I can devote myself to family; to being the best aunty I can be, and to sharing the joys and sorrows of life with those I love.

Home. A place of my own. Ah, the joy and peace I feel when I even think of it! I don't want anything fancy; simplicity is my friend, cozy and quaint my neighbors. I would love to own an old farmhouse, old and in need of a tender touch, with a small parcel of land and maybe an old barn. I would love to put that old farmhouse back together again, room by room, piece by piece, and restore to her that old time charm and serenity of kinder years. I want a home with character, personality. I want to name my home, like Brin did with Freeman House. And I want to spend my days there, growing old with my beloved husband, surrounded by family, friends, children and grandchildren, and die in my bed, and old woman at peace with God and life.

3 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading this post! I love that you're thinking all of this stuff out. It's so necessary to regroup sometimes and re-examine priorities. That book sounds great! Maybe I'll pick it up as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been feeling very contemplative lately, Lou. I wish we could sit down over a nice tea, and chat about dreams. I want to hear yours, and it would be so nice to be able to talk mine out with you, someone who really gets me. I love you *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  3. You girls are so cute and make me smile! for I love seeing good friendships like this!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my blog post! I can't wait to hear your comments. If you have a general question, or want to contact me about something not related to this post, please use the form found on my Contact page. Thanks! *smiles*